Monday, January 9, 2012

Decaloriefied Pizza!

Decaloriefied Pizza! Ok I have bolded, underlined& super sized this for a pretty amazing reason. Drum roll please...one slice of this pizza is 150 calories! On average, a slice of a 14 inch cheese pizza cut into 8 slices has about 280 calories.  That's over a 100 calorie difference! This is possibly the lowest calorie legit "pizza" in existence. This pizza is actually good for you and tastes amazing. 
So how did this ridiculously low calorie marvel come to be? Earl Nightingale said it best,  "You'll find boredom where there is the absence of a good idea." I accompanied my mom on a trip to the doctor today, The Help in hand, diet mountain dew in my system, I was prepared for a long morning of waiting.  But before I even started to pick my wonderful book back up (Read The Help if you, haven't. Yes, even if you've already seen the movie.), I was struck for the craving of pizza.  But then quickly rolled my eyes.  Pizza in a low calorie diet? Ha! Besides, I had already had a McDonalds breakfast and was more than likely going to eat fast food again for lunch.  There was no way I could have even one slice of pizza without blowing  my whole day...or was there? I proceeded to spend the rest of the 3 hour wait on my iPhone giving google a workout.  After searching the lowest of the low, I found this homemade wheat crust recipe and a good low calorie pizza sauce recipe.  (This wheat crust is simply amazing, and I can't take all the credit. This is where I found it http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1180485.)


Will Make You Burst into Song 14" Wheat Crust
2 cups whole wheat flour 
1 cup white flour
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
1 cup of warm water
1 packet of yeast          
This recipe makes 2 14" pizzas.  Half the dough& save one pizza!             
           Trust me it tastes so good, you will want to eat it again.

Tantalizing Tomato Sauce
14.5 oz petite diced tomatos
4 oz tomato paste      
1 tbsp Pizza& Pasta Magic (seasoning) 
1 tbsp McCormick Roasted Garlic& Bell Pepper                  
Also for 2 pizzas! Half and save again.


Mix all crust ingredients in a mixing bowl and with a dough hook, mix on low for 10 minutes. I am in awe of the mixer.  Can you imagine beating that dough yourself??? Maybe this is why oh so many technology deprived years ago women didn't have to go to the gym to burn calories. Then after the dough looks like it's all combined, turn up the speed and mix for another 10ish minutes.  Dough should look smooth and well, doughy by now. Preheat your oven to 350 for 5 minutes and then turn it off.  Place a damp hand towel over the bowl that holds the dough and place it in the oven for 10 minutes. (Don't worry the towel won't burst into flame!) Half the dough and save one. Spray your pan with non stick cooking spray and spread out one half of your dough. Now, pause to take in the warm, Italian aroma of the dough. Amazing :)


MIx all sauce ingredients in a bowl! (I used a magic bullet to dechunkify the diced tomatoes.) Have fun with it and play around, add whatever spices and herbs you want! I even think a touch of sugar would be good, just be sure to account for any extra calories.  Spread your tomatoy concoction evenly onto your crust waiting with open arms. 


Now the final touches! I used 1 1/3 cup of Finely Shredded Low-Moisture part-skim Mozzarella Cheese.  Now there is a cheese out there that is less calories AND you can use more! I went on a Fat Free Shredded Mozzarella Kraft Cheese hunt through 4 stores supplying cheese in my little town and sadly, failed.  *If you can find the elusive cheese I highly suggest using it*  


For my toppings I used an ounce of ultra thin sliced chicken breast, an ounce of ultra sliced oven roasted turkey breast, and 1/2 a cup of lil pineapple bits.
Put your decaloriefied pizza in 450 degree preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. 
Now grab a slice of your pizza and feel completely guilt free!
*Cut your pizza into 8 even slices
WARNING: This pizza will more than likely fill you up with just 2 slices.  Even my above average of a man dad was content at 3!
Looks like Mr. Nightingale was right.  I turned a potentially mind numbingly boring morning into an amazing low calorie recipe! And I had so much fun making this.  Making food from scratch really makes you appreciate every flavorful bite and notice all the little details that go into a home cooked meal. This pizza is simple and fairly quick (if you're not easily distracted like me) to bring to life in your kitchen.  In a dorm? I have access to a little kitchen in my dorm building and am definitely making this one night and sharing it with my hall mates!
ANOTHER WARNING: This is known to cause a huge confidence boost from making a meal from scratch instead of popping something in the microwave, lots of praise from family and friends, and extremely thankful taste buds.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment